Friday, 8 August 2014

20 Things To Do Before I Leave University | My Life in Lists

things to do before you leave university bucket list lifestyle book blogger uk

If you've been reading Vivatramp since its conception, you'll know that I've been dragging out my university experience somewhat. Years since I started and two gap years later, I am returning to university next month to endure my last year of university. I am currently feeling a healthy mix of excitement, sadness and complete terror. Even though it has been a long time coming, it still feels as if it has flown by and there are still lots of things that I would like to do before I leave. With that in mind, I scoured lots of things to do before you leave university lists to come up with my own list of 20 things to do before I leave university! I'm going to attempt to cross off everything before I leave next spring. Wish me luck!






hand a piece of work in early 
I'm one of those people that will start a project within good time but will then sit and tweak it until the very last moment. I just like to torture myself, clearly. I need to get out of this habit and start having faith in my work and I think handing in a piece of work early will be the perfect remedy for that. We'll see if it actually happens! 

go to the aquarium
My university city is home to the UK's largest aquarium but I still haven't gone yet! I definitely need to sort out my priorities. I think I'll save the trip for a day when I'm really needing a break from studying and reading copious amounts of articles. You can have a sleepover at the aquarium too but I think that might be pushing it a bit...

document the experience
One of my main aims for Vivatramp has always been to try and document as much as possible, and I want to try and capture my last year of university life. I want to show you around my favourite parts of the city and share what it's like to study English with Creative Writing. Spoiler alert: there's a lot of reading and a lot of breakdowns. 

visit the old bookshop 
There's a little old bookshop tucked away on the harbourside that I've never been to but I'd like to rectify that! Not that I'll have time to read for pleasure once I'm back at university. Boo. 

stay on top of everything 
This means actually reading all of the set texts, not just the ones I'm going to write an assignment on, and organising all of my life things to ensure I stay alive and well. I also want to boss attendance but that is easier said than done when you have an illness that gives you good days and horrendous can't-leave-the-house days. I'm going to be Luke-less this year so I need to stay on top of laundry, food and payments because no one else is going to kick me up the ass. I don't like being an adult, if you couldn't already tell. 

3 uk lifestyle blog best friend tag vivatramp4 uk lifestyle blog vivatramp

go charity shopping 
You guys know that I love charity shops and I want to venture to as many in the city as I can before I leave. My uni city is great for charity shopping - particularly if you're looking for 1980s polyester dresses. My keen little eye picked out some floral leggings for my little Lyzibean last time I had a nose so I have high hopes.  

eat out at some new places
I will be on a budget but I want to try out some new eateries whilst I've got the chance - preferably ones overlooking the water! If there's anything to take my mind off of horrible assignments, it's food.   

make new friends 
I'm going to be in classes with complete strangers again, as all of my friends graduated this summer, so this is a bit of a necessity! I'm not a ~complex person~ but I think people struggle to suss  me out based on first impressions so this should be fun. I'm hoping to stumble across some like minded people that will listen to me when I'm breaking down in the library in the early hours of the morning. 

hold a cocktail evening  
I'm not entirely sure why this one is in there but I've always wanted to mess about with cocktails so I might save this idea for an evening where Claire and I need it most. Virgin mojitos, ahoy! Leave some mocktail inspiration below because I don't know where to start. 

work really hard!
University feels like an uphill struggle for the majority of students but paired with a chronic illness and things are made 100x more difficult. I'm under no illusions that things will be easy, because they won't, but I want to give myself the best shot. I'm not one for really worrying too much about grades or anything, but I think it means more to me now that I've had to fight for it. I just want to do my best and finally graduate next summer. Fingers crossed!

1 Vivatramp lifestyle blog UK studying university2 Vivatramp lifestyle blog UK university study observations

become a 'yes man'
I was bogged down with anxiety in the first two years of university but I feel like I've come a long way since then. I've experienced things that have made me realise I really need to just try and go for things a bit more. I'm still probably going to be a bit crap when it comes to saying yes to wild nights out but I want to try to say yes more to other things. I won't ever get to experience university again so yolo! Sorry, that was uncalled for.

get a first in something 
I've got firsts before but it's a grade that I want to achieve again. They aren't the be all and end all, of course, but sometimes it's just really great to have a piece of paper that is like 'you're doing great, buddy'. It takes a lot of hard work and, if I'm honest, I'm not very optimistic about my grades at this moment in time. However, I really want to work for it so we'll see if it happens!

go to the theatre
The theatre hold cheap student nights that I really want to take advantage of because you can see really great plays for next to nothing. I've only watched a couple of shows whilst I've been at university, One Man Two Guvnors and Birdsong, but they were both brilliant. 

sit in on someone else's lecture 
I've always wanted to attend a different lecture whilst at university! I'm not sure of the best way to go about it - maybe I'll crash some in the introductory week?

speak to the careers people
I have no idea what I want to do at this moment in time, apart from sit and read books and then tell people about them,  so I should probably go and see if the careers people can help me out a bit. I need a career that can work around my illness so lets hope the careers people can help me with that!


1 uk lifestyle blog vivatramp postcards things to do seaside.4 uk lifestyle blog vivatramp seaside things to do.

INDULGE IN MANY MOVIE NIGHTS WITH CLAIRE 
Online streaming services are pretty much the best things to have ever existed. Period. Claire and I plan on spending many an evening tucked up watching crappy films and having TV show marathons. Thankfully, we'll have a pretty good internet connection to see us through! Speaking of internet connections, BT are now offering a 9 month internet package to students - meaning you don't have to fork out for a 12 month subscription! They offer fibre optic broadband with an unlimited connection and unlimited access to BT wifi - which is pretty good for when you're pottering around the city centre attempting to forget your impending deadlines. You can sign up to any of the following packages:

BT BROADBAND PACKAGE: Save £96 versus the standard price for Unlimited BT broadband (unlimited download usage) with Unlimited Weekend Calls due to BT’s, exclusive to students, 9-month contract for just £16 per month (plus £15.99 a month line rental)

BT INFINITY: 
Save £138 versus the standard price for BT Infinity 1 Extra broadband with a 40GB download limit and Unlimited Weekend Calls due to BT’s, exclusive to students, 9 month contract for just £14 per month(plus £15.99 a month line rental) 

OR: Save £222 versus the standard price for Unlimited Infinity 1 broadband with unlimited download usage and Unlimited Weekend Calls due to BT’s, exclusive to students, 9-month contract for just £19 per month(plus £15.99 a month line rental)

go on day trips 
My studies will probably drive me crazy within a matter of weeks so Claire and I have promised one another that we'll get out a bit and do some exploring when we've got the time. With Devon and Cornwall on our doorstep, we don't really have an excuse.

picnic on the green 
One of my favourite things to do when the sun shines in my uni city is to pack up my books, some food and some company and head down to the front to lounge around on the green. The view is just absolutely incredible and it helps to brush away all the anxieties that come with studying. I'm hoping we'll get plenty of these days in during the second term. 

make some decent dishes 
I haven't been able to eat fruit or vegetables since my surgery and to say that it's grating on me a bit would be an understatement! I want to add some new dishes to my repertoire that are healthy, easy and cheap. If you've got any low-fibre meal ideas, leave some ideas in the comments below. 

go to some arty events
There's quite a good arts scene in the city and this is something that I want to utilize and engage with a lot more when I get back because that's something that my hometown really lacks. I won't always have the time and ability to do so, so I should probably just go for it and attend all that I can!

That's just a handful of things you should do before you leave university. Are you still at university? If so, what things would you like to do before you leave? If not, what things would you like to do before you leave school / college / reach a certain milestone?

 check out my other listography posts.

 FOLLOW: TWITTER | FOLLOW: BLOGLOVIN'
FOLLOW: INSTAGRAM | FOLLOW: TUMBLR
VIVATRAMP@GMAIL.COM

I was compensated for the links in this post. However, all content is written by my fine self. 

29 comments:

  1. I think staying on top of everything will always be an unachievable goal for me! I start the year with good intentions then I get lazy and give up on it. I'm only going into my second year so I have more than a year left but I think talking to the careers people is on my list too. I really want an internship next summer but the whole process of applying and stuff feels scary and I want someone to hold my hand haha xx

    Jennie | www.balteress.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have a goodreads account? I just love your taste in books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually what I needed. I'm going through a tough time for what uni concerns, so this list is an inspiration to try and write one myself. What everyone keeps telling me, is that is t
    never too soon to talk to someone about career options, so just go and ask!
    I wish you good luck with all those goals, I'm sure that after you'll starting see your amazing results, it's gonna be even easier!

    http://thepeachdrinkingtea.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah man, can't believe you're going into your final year, when I first started reading your blog, you were maybe a year of starting your degree. Congratulations.

    I hated doing my degree so much. I wish I'd had the get up and go to make my very last year enjoyable, but one thing I look back on now is that it certainly hardened my right up. I so hope that your final year is amazing as much as it is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck completing your list!! My uni time had been cut short but I hope that if/when I go back I can really take advantage of the experience like it seems you plan to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Bee, it must feel so weird that this time is almost here given that you've been anticipating it for a while now but how exciting! I wish you all the luck in the world - you're so talented and bright, I have no doubt that you'll be super at the academic stuff. And you're a wonderfully inquisitive and all-round excellent person that I know you'll make the most of the stuff too whilst finding a good balance to rest as well :) sending you lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything on this list is on point. I didn't go to Uni and I am bethroved to the working life already but this has definitley given me some inspo to get out there & just DO IT! Especially the cocktail evening, that is high on the list ;)
    Ps. I love your blog. It is adorable & so so so pretty!
    Rebecca xxx
    www.queenbeady.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound reasonable! Id love to hold a cocktail evening aswell!!

    http://wiltedxfaded.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this list of things you want to do- I love how it is a mix of life things and uni things and involved appreciating the place your living! I think I might do a similar list to this!
    xxx

    hannahcoroner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound like awesome aims! Daytrips and eating out at new places are some of my favourite things to do! :D Hope you have fun at the aquarium too xxx

    http://peanutbutterandmussels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck, Bee! I'm going into my final year too and I really, really, really, want to get a first in something! My plan of action is to basically live in the library, though - but now I really want to have a sleepover in that aquarium!

    Chelsea x
    Love in Modern Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's like me exactly when I have projects do complete! I start early but then leave it alone for the longest time until it's actually almost due...I'm going to try to hand things early too! I think it'll really help me, haha ;P

    Every Day In Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with entering your final year! This post couldn't have come at a better time for me, I'll be entering my second year in september at the age of 25 and university doesn't seem to be agreeing with me very well. I have anxiety and am currently amid a break-up, so going back at one point this summer didn't feel like an option. But I am and I too hope to make some new friends and be more of a 'yes-man' to things that I'd usually shy away from and despite studying photography, I hardly picked up a camera in my first year for anything outside of the course, so documenting more of the next two years will take more priority. Thank you for writing this post :) xx

    www.natashaofthesaints.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the list, you've inspired me to create my own! I'm going into my final year of uni too, and after the last two years it's terrifying me. Determined to make the most of it and stay optimistic, though. Already planning some things to do on the weekends instead of sitting in front of the telly, and I really need to sort out my organisation skills!

    Good luck with everything :)
    Emily xo

    http://fellandfair.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be more than happy to assist with some of these my dear! I haven't been to the aquarium since I was little.

    Just gimme a shout ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have two years left at uni, and I'm also doing an English degree i couldn't agree more when you said it's basically reading and a lot of breakdowns!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you'll love it! Enjoy these days - everything is for the best. You know what they say, these will be the best days of your life! (hopefully)

    xx

    http://weekendwhispers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you have any posts about starting university? Even though you're finishing I'm just about to start!

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck with all of this Bee! You have an incredible will and determination to succeed. Try and enjoy this experience, I hated my last year of university but really enjoyed my MA because I did things I wanted to and not because everyone else did. It felt amazing. Just enjoy yourself and do things at your pace!
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, strangely enough for the past two days I've been compiling a list for myself with things to do in my last year of university! I was originally thinking 50 but today I decided to go for 25...Weird to see this post now xD
    Some interesting things on there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has really made me miss final year and pulling all-nighters in the library - good times <3
    Enjoy it, Bee, and make the most of it :D
    I wish I'd done more with my time at uni, going to the theatre sounds perfect :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great list of things to accomplish! I actually start college/university (I'm so used to calling it college here in the US) in the next few weeks and I'm so excited! I'm also studying English with a minor in creative writing as well and I can't wait to start. Good luck with your final year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can do all of these things :) Make the most of that final year, even if you've been dragging uni out a bit, that final year is something you'll never get back (it's way better than first year IMO!)
    Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome! I'm about to start college and this is a good list for me to look at and set for my goals. I've actually already done the whole, 'sitting in on someone else's lecture' because I went in for my boyfriend's Biology and Scuba class. It was interesting, but since I wasn't attending college yet, it felt like I wasn't supposed to be there O.O

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love lists like this, I wish you all the luck for returning to uni, I can imagine it being pretty daunting after two gap years! You should definitely make the most of your last year and you have some lovely goals to be cracking on with x

    What Rachael Wrote

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoyed reading this list, I am just about to start Uni and I think making a list like this would help me get over my anxieties and get out more H xx

    www.hopesgone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. love this list! my boyfriend is from plymouth and when i visited we did the aquarium and the bookshop - both amazing! have a great year at uni, good luck with everything! charl x
    www.aplaceonthebookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've just realised you're doing the same course that I did at the same university I went to! I can definitely recommend the aquarium. I was actually there filming only a few weeks ago. :)

    Good luck with your last year of uni and with your dissertation. I hope you get to do all of the things on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think I will try to do several of these! Also thanks for the heads up about the Broadband package, it sounds like a great deal.

    ReplyDelete